1. Research of hot and cold rolling steel process and development of numerical simulation tools.
2.Research of steel mill roll tribology and fatigue property of hot and cold rolling steel.
3.Development of downstream industries’ roll bonding technologies.
4.Technical development and research on material forging molding of leading edge processing.
5.Technical development and research on the leading edge processing applying on precision micro manufacturing.
6.Technical development and research on the leading edge processing applying on systems of NEMS and optical devices.
7.New technical researches on manufacturing process related to irons.
The key research achievements of Leading Edge Processing Rolling and Forging Technology Research Center are qualified to be patented, and these achievements can also be shared with upstream and downstream sections and enterprises of domestic iron industries through the ways of technical transfer or core resources. Year by year, the center gradually transfer research achievements into intellectual property rights to broaden these achievements into real profits. Besides, the center also bears the responsibility of key field information exchanges between the center and abroad academic sections or research institutions, and the responsibility of transferring technologies to domestic industries.
Using Finite Element Analysis package ABAQUS to simulate SUS304 stainless steel’s developing conditions through vertical rolling and horizontal rolling, which form the double bulge shape, and the flaws produce by the hot rolling of iron edge; then using the simulation to be the 2D rolling model. The result shows that the shear stress is strongest when the slab passes the double bulge shape behind edge and horizontal rolling; therefore we can use maximum shear stress yielding criterion to find the probable edging defects. There are some results show that this is a valid method. 2D hot rolling early models are established in this year.
Using Finite Element Analysis package ABAQUS to simulate SUS304 stainless steel’s development of the hot rolling defects of 3D slab edge. The initial conditions, boundary conditions are obtained from China Steel Corporation, and the constitutive equation was obtained from flow curves, which were obtained from Gleeble forging test. The results depict that the cause of defect formation mainly was attributed to edging rolling. It is consistence with the experimental results from China Steel Corporation. It implies that decreasing or eliminating the rolling passes are effective on reducing the defects. 3D hot rolling models are established in this year.
Using Finite Element Analysis package ABAQUS to simulate SUS304 stainless steel’s Sizing Press Processes. The simulating results of early setting conditions as edge conditions and rheological curve of Gleeble heading experiment as constitutive equations show that during vertical rolling of steel slab’s deformed shape occur on the slab surface closed to edge. Sizing Press makes the deformation of slab more uniform, and the outline shape is wave-liked after sizing size process; equivalent plastic strain spreads as a cycle. Thus we sure that Sizing Press process can move the locations of maximum shear stress to the sides of slab and effectively reduce edging defects.
Sizing Press numerical model is established in accordance with the size of real hot rolling line in this year.
Using Finite Element Analysis package ABAQUS to simulate the condition of slab through Sizing Press machine and one-track horizontal rolling. The whole model slab successfully simulates the buckling in the front end of slab. The result shows that max shear stress spreads aside both sides of slab.
The simulation of vertical and horizontal rolling tracks after established sizing press is continued and also accomplished in this year.
Using Finite Element Analysis package ABAQUS to establish the sizing press machine model and the subsequent flat rolling model modifying according to real conditions. Then calculating the accuracy of the results and providing the methods that could reduce computation time under the condition of maintaining the accuracy of deformation prediction. The full-model numerical analysis model from sizing press to R4 is firstly established in this year. Besides, the analysis of temperature gradient along the width of the slab is also undertaken to investigate longitudinal bent of slab and the methods to modify it.
To conclude the mentioned above, the center has established solid foundation in the research of establishing numerical simulating tools of hot rolling processing with Steel & Aluminum Research & Development Department of China Steel and No.1 Hot Strip Mill.
I. Short-term Plans:
1. The research center accepts the subsidy from China Steel to establish “Steel Roll Bonding Technical Research Center of China Steel and NCCU” under similar structure.
2. The research center also carries out the research plans authorized by China Steel in 2008; temporal plan titles and contents are shown as follows:
* Slab Hot Rolling Research and Analyzing (Aoh, Jong-Ning)
* Rolling Surface Tribological Analysis of Cold Rolling Processing Model Development (Jeng, Yeau-Ren and Huang, Pay-Yau)
* Hot Rolling’s Work and Backing Roll Contact Forces Analyzing (Pai-Chen Lin)
* Hot Rolling Parameter and Microstructure Evolution Numerical Analyzing (Liu, De-Shin)
* Hot Rolling Microstructure Evolution Model Development (Aoh, Jong-Ning and Cheng-Li Chuang)
II. Long-term Plans (after 2009)
1. Applying 2009 research project from Department of Engineering and Applied Sciences of National Science Council. Temporarily the name of this research project is “Three-year Special Iron’s Leading Edge Rolling Processing Development Research Integrated Project”, and we will cooperate with China Steel. The research funds will be 12 million. (The project will start from July, 2009 to June, 2012)
2. Encouraging multidisciplined scholars’ participation and striving for large-scale integrated research projects of steel rolling and leading edge processing.
3. Establishing industrial R&D projects and consulting platforms with China Steel’s downstream industries to widen the research service scale of rolling, forging and leading edge industries.
4. Cooperating with abroad (include China) academic research or industrial sections to establish the relationship of international cooperation, and also acting as the platform of technical and intellectual property introduction or shifting.
5.Integrating the resources of industrial cooperation to establish leading edge processing rolling and forging technology industrial association to build rigid foundation for center’s long-term running.
1. Assisting China Steel to establish hot and cold rolling processing and analyzing technical capabilities, and build completely in-house technical database of hot and cold rolling.
2. Rising production capacity of hot and cold rolling and the quality and level of products; and also developing the rolling and forging technologies that can produce high additional value steels.
3. Assisting steel rolling and forging downstream and relevant industries to rise technical levels, enhance product levels and promote the competition capacity of products to enable China Steel and domestic relevant industries and markets to share common benefits.4. From the accumulation of research categories and technologies, the center can gradually achieve the goal of self-sufficiency with the communication of developing technologies, patents, intellectual property rights and academic innovation to become one of the key research groups of domestic rolling and forging technologies researches and other relevant leading edge technical developments.